Ben Venables (@benvenables) is the comedy editor at the Skinny which covers the Glasgow and Edinburgh Festivals (as well as the Scottish scene the whole year round). Ben has been a journalist for a number of years and has carved out a great niche for himself as a knowledgeable and earnest lover of stand-up. I got him on to talk about the future of the Edinburgh Fringe, what it is like working at the Skinny and his best tips to get reviewed (with and without a PR).
I got him on to talk about:
- The Future of the Edinburgh Fringe
- How to get a review without any PR help
- What actually goes on behind the scenes at the magazine during the festival and beyond
- What the star ratings actually mean (to him and his team)
- Why more Edinburgh Fringe winning acts aren't getting more exposure or opportunities.
- If there's too many awards / middle people involved at the festival.