John-David (or JD as he prefers to be called) is the founder and artistic director at the Sweet Venues (@sweetvenues) that currently operate largely at the Edinburgh and Brighton Fringe. But in addition to that he runs a lot of other literary festivals as well as a horror festival. The Sweets recent move into taking on more comedy shows than ever marks an interesting development for them and the Fringe in general. I got him on to talk about why now, and what the future holds for Sweet Venues.
I got him on to talk about why now, and what the future holds for Sweet Venues including :
- Discussion of the “problem of youth” in comedy and reality TV shows.
- Why the Sweets venue was started, what they’re looking for and what they are not.
- Do you find promoting comedy hard given his historical roots in theatre?
- The future of the Edinburgh Fringe as he sees it.
- Why he founded the Horror, Writers and Women's Festivals