Barry Ferns (@barryferns) started Angel Comedy (@angelcomedy) 6 years ago in 2010 as an open mic night to give himself more stagetime. Since then it has expanded and now runs comedy shows 7 nights a week. More recently the core team and their volunteer army have crowdfunded to lease their very own venue, just down the road from the original. They raised £46,643 from 1049 in 30 days.
I got on Barry and former comedian, now Angel booker / show manager / venue manager / everything Sarah Pearce to talk about how they did it and what we can learn from them. This interview blew me away and by the end we were talking philosophy and finding what you want to do in life, and always working towards that. Specific subjects we covered included -
- How Angel has built it's reputation on the clubs ethos alone.
- How to build a community around a comedy club.
- The teamwork and DIY attitude that embodies the entire groups mentality towards work.
- Why they decided to buy a pub and when they felt was the best time to take that risk.
- Why Sarah quit stand up and why Barry see's his career as a constant process of making stuff and staying in the industry.
- How to find an audience for your shows/ gigs / comedy club.
- How they've made the free model work in London (UK).